Thursday, July 29, 2010

Brrr...it's freezing in here!!

Well, not really...but I'm doing a ton of cooking and freezing. I'm not really sure what has gotten into me but I like it!

This method works really well for us. The husband isn't left scrounging in the kitchen in the wee hours of the morning to find something that is P90X friendly, delicious, and relatively easy for him to put together.

I decided to try my hand at frozen "breakfast bowls" and our version of chili. For storage space and easy defrosting, they're not in bowls. Instead, I measure them into one cup portions, pour into ziploc baggies, and spread out what's inside the bags so I can get the air out AND they freeze/defrost much easier when they're flat. This way you just cut the side and they slide right out (you can't just open the top because the corners where the zippers are block it). Nuke them on a plate in the microwave for a minute and they're perfect!!

Just in case you were curious...the breakfast "bowls" are made up of egg beaters, half a package of mushrooms, two stalks of celery, and several sliced of ham (NOT the lunch meat type). As well as our seasoning staples: black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.

Our version of chili involves one carrot, one celery stick, one polish sausage, 2.5 cups of previously cooked black beans, and all of our seasoning staples.










One last thing, let the food cool some before you bag them. This way the plastic baggies don't melt and make all your hard work pointless!!

3 comments:

  1. Now I am starving, everything looks good! I really need to start doing freezing more and make it easier for myself. Thanks for stopping by today, love your blog background!
    Londen

    ReplyDelete
  2. mhmmm it all looks delicious!!! cool ideas thanks so much for sharing! hope to hear from you soon!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, the breakfast bowls looks so yummy! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love your background!

    ReplyDelete