Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ground Chicken Burgers

I have not cooked with ground beef in years. We used ground turkey for a couple of years and then moved on to ground chicken about 6 months ago. I had used it before maybe once or twice to make meatballs years ago and the were so unbelievably dry that I said never again! I guess either my cooking has improved or ground chicken has. I'm guessing it's my cooking...

Anyway, chicken burgers are a huge hit in our house. They aren't dry, have lots of protein, and are no where as greasy as beef. In fact, they're not greasy at all. What you put in the burgers keeps them from getting dry.

I dumped a pound of ground chicken in a large bowl, add in about 3/4 cup of whole wheat Italian seasoned bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of skim milk, and 3 tablespoons of BBQ sauce (or soy sauce, A1, worcestershire). Then I put on my handy dandy latex gloves because raw chicken FREAKS me out. Next, I miss it all together and form the burgers. I season each side with garlic, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Place the burgers in the pan, cook on each side until they are a nice golden color. Always use a meat thermometer to double check done-ness.

I served these burgers on whole wheat buns with provolone cheese and BBQ sauce, broccoli, and brown rice with garlic and black quinoa. They were so good that the kid and husband were happy...but the plate was happy too! Check out that smiley face!

By the way, ground chicken is substantially cheaper than other ground meats in this neck of the woods.



No comments:

Post a Comment